Thursday, January 8, 2015

Seeing is Believing- Day 8 of 31 Days of Organizing

Seeing is Believing

Today I want to talk about glass and plastic.  

When it comes to miniatures, I don't use much glass.  Why add weight to a project when plastic will do.  What I do have is mostly for covering my finished projects.  I tend to have a few extra glass domes.  I like to pick these up at thrift stores if I can.  
Until they are officially paired with a project, I need to store them. I may use for them temporarily to cover something that isn't finished.  Or I can just have them on a shelf.  Or I can wrap them carefully and store them in a drawer or box.  So my advise for glass is to protect from breaking.  Secondly, since it is not used as often, I would consider this as something that I could store in a large box and stick in the closet.  

Plastic on the other hand is a different story.  I use and save plastic a lot more. Plastic items fall into different categories for me: flat, shaped, containers and other items.  The main thing about plastic to keep in mind when storing is if it will be used to see through, it needs to be protected from scratches.  I do this with plastic cling wrap or by just laying flat with other flat plastic.  Larger items I would use to cover with are stored away in boxes and the flat items in a drawer with other flat plastic.
For items that don't need protection, I just combine them in drawers based on their use. So I have a drawer for items that I might make something with (think Borrower's story or other repurposing).  Also I used to send and receive many swaps, so I save items that I can use to store smaller items in or to ship them in. These are things like the film canisters, pill bottles, and other small boxes. This drawer is also where I keep the dish and bottle lids. 

Lastly, when it comes to cleaning glass and plastic, I use a glass cleaner for glass and a plastic cleaner for plastic.  I used to just dust the plastic and use a multi-surface cleaner, but now I use something called Brillianize.  I use it faithfully on plastic surfaces.  It doesn't remove all scratches, but it does really clean the surface and improve the appearance.  

Come back tomorrow for another organizing idea during my 31 days of organizing.

Happy Miniature Organizing!
Preble

No comments:

Post a Comment